Turning Complex Issues Into Simple Solutions Reach Out Now

Child Support Modifications Attorney in Orlando, Florida

If you find yourself in a situation where the established child support arrangement no longer suits your child's needs, seeking a modification is a necessary step to ensure continued financial support. 

At The Spence Law Firm, our dedicated child support modification attorney is well-versed in the ongoing attention that family law matters require. We understand the sensitivities involved in these matters and are committed to helping you adjust your child support order to reflect your current financial situation.  

With over twenty-one years of experience, our lawyer is equipped to provide you with the robust legal support you need. Contact our firm in Orlando, Florida, today to get set up with a free consultation.  

Understanding Child Support Modification in Florida

Under Florida law, modifying a child support order requires demonstrating a substantial change in circumstances since the original order. This change must be involuntary, permanent, and material.  

Common reasons for seeking a modification include: 

  • A significant change in either parent's income, such as a job loss or substantial salary increase

  • Changes in the child’s needs, such as increased expenses for medical care, education, or extracurricular activities

  • Changes in the amount of time the child spends with each parent

  • The emergence of new family responsibilities, such as the birth of another child

How the Modification Process Works

The process of modifying a child support order in Florida involves several important steps, all aimed at ensuring the modification reflects the best interests of the child while addressing the current financial circumstances of both parents. Here’s an overview of what to expect:  

Step 1: Filing a Motion for Modification

The first step in the modification process is filing a formal motion with the court requesting a change to the existing child support order. This motion must clearly outline the substantial change in circumstances that has occurred since the original order.  

It's important to provide detailed and convincing evidence to support your claim. This evidence may include financial statements, pay stubs, tax returns, medical bills, and any other documentation that can substantiate the change in circumstances. Both parents may be required to disclose their financial information to provide a clear picture of their current financial status.  

An experienced attorney can help draft this motion to ensure that it meets all legal requirements and effectively conveys the need for modification. 

For Skilled Support

Reach Out to Us 

Step 2: Serving the Motion

Once the motion is filed, it must be served to the other parent, providing them with an opportunity to respond. This service process needs to comply with Florida's legal procedures to ensure that the other parent is properly notified. They will then have the chance to agree to the modification, contest it, or propose an alternative arrangement. 

Step 3: Mediation and Negotiation 

In many cases, the court may encourage both parties to participate in mediation before proceeding to a formal hearing. Mediation allows parents to discuss their issues in a more relaxed setting and potentially reach an agreement without the need for a contentious court battle.  

Step 4: Court Hearing 

If mediation does not result in an agreement, the case will proceed to a court hearing. During the hearing, both parents will present their arguments and evidence to the judge. The judge will evaluate the information provided and determine whether the requested modification is warranted based on the substantial change in circumstances and the best interests of your child. 

Step 5: Implementing the New Order 

If the judge approves the modification, a new child support order will be issued. This order will outline the new support terms, including the adjusted payment amounts and any other relevant conditions. You and your co-parent must adhere strictly to the new order to ensure compliance and avoid potential legal consequences. 

Why Legal Representation Matters

Navigating the child support modification process can be challenging without the right legal guidance. An experienced attorney can help you prepare the necessary documentation, present compelling evidence to the court, and advocate for your child's best interests.  

At The Spence Law Firm, our Orlando child support modification attorney offers personalized and diligent legal representation to ensure the most favorable outcome for your case. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How often can child support be modified in Florida? 

There is no specific limit on how often child support can be modified. However, there must be a significant change in circumstances to warrant a review and adjustment by the court. 

Can child support modifications be made without going to court? 

Parents can agree on modifications outside of court, but the agreement must be approved by the court to be enforceable. Legal counsel can help draft an agreement that meets statutory requirements and serves the child's best interests. 

What happens if the other parent contests the modification? 

If the other parent contests the modification, the case will proceed to a court hearing where both sides will present evidence. Our family law attorney at The Spence Law Firm can skillfully represent your case and advocate for a fair adjustment. 

Child Support Modification Lawyer in Orlando, Florida

If you need assistance with modifying an existing child support order, let The Spence Law Firm provide you with the legal guidance you need. We're committed to advocating for your child's financial well-being and ensuring that child support arrangements are fair and reflective of current circumstances. Contact our Orlando office for a free consultation today. We serve clients in and beyond Orange County, Florida, including the communities of Oak Ridge, Pine Hills, Lockhart, Maitland, Azalea Park, Osceola County, Lake County, and Seminole County.